Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Heimlich Maneuver

I successfully performed the Heimlich maneuver for the first time in my parenting career. Nicholas, Essie, Alexander and I were at the bishop's storehouse stocking up on oats, wheat, sugar, and flour this past Thursday morning. There are always plenty of volunteers there and they all love to see and spoil children. A kind man gave Nicholas and Essie some hard candy...the round kind the size of butterscotch disks. I was busy filling out the order form and just happened to glance over at Nicholas...he was completely red in the face with tears running down his cheeks. I realized he was choking, and from his looks it seemed like he had been choking for a while. I rushed to him and had awful visions running through my head. As I reached him, I whacked him as hard as I could right under his diaphram and the candy flew out of his mouth and hit the desk in front of him. So, I guess I didn't do the full Heimlich with both hands...that would have been my next move if the blow to the stomach didn't work.

Nicholas was very upset...cried and cried and cried. My hands were shaking for a good ten minutes afterward. I am so glad he is okay.

5 comments:

Krista said...

Uh... SCARY! Glad he's okay.

Jamie said...

You are such a great mom! How am I ever going to do the things you do? I bet that was awful:(

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachael said...

YIKES!!!! That is really scary!!!! Good thinking mom!!!

Shelley said...

Way to go super mom!!