Sunday, November 03, 2013

Quilts from Grandma Chelle

Grandma Chelle is wonderful in so many many ways.  One of those ways is her love of quilting and her kind thoughtful selflessness of making and giving quilts to others.  She has made each of my children a quilt and they LOVE them.  I wanted to document them here just in case something tragic happened to any of them.  I wish the pictures and descriptions did a better job of showing off these quilts.

Nicholas's is a bug quilt that has been hanging on his wall ever since he was a baby.  When we took it down for this picture it took me a couple of days to get it hung back up.  He told me he had a hard time sleeping without it because he likes to look at it before he falls asleep.  The dragonfly at the bottom of the quilt has lost it's body.  We still have the body (I think...I knew right where it was before we moved and now I am having a hard time picturing it's location)  and just need to sew it back on.  It was puffy and stuffed with fluff and Nicholas loved it a little too hard when he was too young to know better.  





Estella's is a "Brainy Baby" quilt.  Babies love looking at it because of all the bold geometric designs.  It fits Estella's personality very well.  The back is a super soft fuzzy material that she, Alexander, and Eleanor have all loved to play with when they were very small.



Alexander's quilt is nothing short of amazing.  It is a "Peek-a-boo" quilt.  Each of the squares (including the ones with the small bears on them) are flaps that lift up to show an animal or person hiding underneath.  Then the bear in the middle plays peek a boo.  It has velcro on it's hands so you can stick them over his eyes.  Each animal is beautifully appliqued on and they all have adorable details and textural fabrics.  It is amazing.




I keep the peek a boo quilt hung on the wall because I don't want it to get stepped on.  Grandma Chelle wanted Alexander to have a quilt to cuddle up with also, so she made him one out of soft, fuzzy fabrics.  He sleeps under it every night.




Thomas's quilt is an "I Spy" quilt and is full of fun things to look at and find.  He has a few favorite squares and loved looking at it and pointing out all of the different things when he was a toddler.  He keeps his on his bed on the top of his comforter.



The Christmas after Jackson and I were married...or maybe it was the second...I can't remember for sure, she made this wall hanging for me.  I think it was one of her first quilts.  She cut all of those intricate pieces by hand and appliqued them on.  I love it and grow to cherish it more and more the older I get.  
She is currently working on a quilt for Eleanor.  I have seen it in progress and I can't wait to hang it up in her room when it is finished!  I look at these quilts and see so much love in them.  Hundreds and hundreds of hours spent thinking about and sewing for us.  We are so thankful for Grandma Chelle and love her very much.

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a fantastic idea to photograph the quilts with the kids they were given to! Amazing photos, and what a fun way to show Grandma Chelle how cherished they are. She does a beautiful job and she LOVES her grandkids :)