Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A Bit Scary

We have had a bit of a scary week. I have been having some bleeding and contractions. I finally went into the doctor Sunday night and they monitered the baby's heartbeat and the contractions. I was having very steady contractions, so they checked me internally. Luckily I wasn't dialated at all. The cervix was soft, but they said that can be normal with a third pregnancy. They gave me a shot of Terbutaline (sp?) which makes your uterus relax (and also makes your heart race and your body shake). That stopped the contractions after a while, so they sent me home with some pills of that to take every 4 hours until I could see my OB. The next morning he saw me and told me to keep taking the pills and to not do anything, basically...no grocery shopping, no housework, no cooking. I was very faithful with that all day Monday (which made for very confused little boys and a very busy husband). Tuesday morning I had some fresh bleeding and more contractions, so I called the doctor to ask what he wanted me to do. He had me come in and put me back on the monitor. I was having lots of contractions, so he checked me internally again, and said it was still fine...not dialated, just soft. He said the blood was probably just small blood vessels in the cervix bursting as it softened.

That was all very stressful for me and Jackson and the little boys. This afternoon, however, I have been feeling very calm and peaceful about everything. I might just have wishful thinking, but I don't feel like Estella is going to come too early. I feel that if I take it easy-this week especially- my uterus is going to calm down and I will be able to go off the medication (which I REALLY don't like taking). We have had so much help and so many people call, bring dinner, watch the boys at the last minute, buy us groceries...it has been so wonderful! Thankyou to everyone that has been so kind and thoughtful!

7 comments:

Elisa said...

Oh man, hang in there, we'll keep you in our prayers. did anything like this happen in your previous pregnancies?

Rachael said...

Oh Jen, I hope this stops! Pregnancy is so scary...you just want them here so you know they are okay but the worrying doesn't stop there does it? When are you due?

berrymom said...

I am due Thanksgiving day (Nov. 22). Nothing like this ever happened with the other two pregnancies. I think what started all of this was just overdoing it. I am hoping if I can get my uterus to calm down, I will be able to start doing SOME of the normal stuff again. I am definitely going to cut out my 45 minute daily walk and running around playing soccer with Thomas...I think that and travelling is what started it all. Thanks for your concern!

mary said...

Oh my gosh, playing soccer, JEN! Keep us posted on how things go. I hope you can return to normal functioning soon! We're excited to meet your little girl, but hopefully not quite yet!

Rachael said...

Playing soccer....you are crazy! Take it easy!

April said...

Oh my! I'll have you in my prayers too. I am fairly certain that whenever our children decide to come they won't have a mom that plays soccer (I'm sure you are tired of hearing that). hehe. That's never been a weakness of mine *wink, wink*.

jessicalangprice said...

Jen, I hope she stays in the oven til the end! That is so scary! I didn't know you were having a girl either (sorry, bad friend). That's so exciting. Hang in there. Taking a backseat will be challenging since you're so used to being active but let others serve you! Wish I could be there to help!